Wednesday 28 May 2008

How to look good emaciated on an operating table.

For those of you who want to know, I feel much better today, after showing into work looking like a tramp with early onset Parkinson's Disease and smelling like a Brewery laundry basket.

Today, what really gets my goat is.. Fashion.

Well Fashion, vanity and the systematic abuse of people's insecurities. Mrs. Hardcore has become a bit partial to enjoying "How to Look Good Naked" presented by a Mr. Gok Wan. Frankly, this show is acceptable to me, from what little I see its all about making people feel better about themselves with just a few small changes. However, Mr. Wan is currently on holiday or something and last night I had to endure "10 years younger" - a "style" show in the very loosest sense of the word. This show made me sick to the very pit of my stomach.

Described by its frankly horrific host as "Not afraid to go under the knife!". Lovely.

The problem with this is that even if you take aside the fact that 99.9% of the target audience are insecure enough to attempt to emulate the massive amount of unnessacery surgery shown in the show despite being unable to afford it, advising people, en masse, in a very general sense to have massively intrusive surgery in order to conform with what they describe as beauty at that particular moment is grossly irresponsible.

I dislike bouncers, I don't use this blog however, to encourage you to go out and scalp one of the bastards.

Basically, we start with a woman who is deemed to have "let herself go a bit" by a group of snobs, bitchy friends and rich "fashionistas". I'll concede at this point that the lady in last nights show was dog rough, but this is beside the point. The unfortuante lady is then humiliated and insulted on national TV until she concedes that she is so hideous, surgery is the only way she can be let out of the house again without a bag on her head.

In my opinion, the only area she needed ANY surgery of any description, was her pearly whites. A new set of teeth, at a push, would have made a marked improvement.

After 10 weeks of expensive and unnessacery surgery, she is then encouraged to spend far more than she can afford on truly expensive clothing then a fat man with unlikely eyebrows insulted her some more and cut her hair a bit. Then she is revealed, looking truly amazing in many opinions.

Let me put it to you like this. I, like most men, like real women. We're talking natural, girl-next-door, bump into on the street normal types. I can't stand glamour models and airbrushed pictures just don't do it for me. Perfect is unattainable for most and is therefore unattractive.

I'm flawed, and I'm happy. I was once offered surgery on my ears in high school because they stick out at a bizarre angle, I refused. Now, I can almost hear you now [with my massive fucking ears] saying; "well, she did look good afterward" and "It's about feeling good about yourself" and I see your point, but you're wrong.

Yes, it worked ok for her, but it was painful and far out of her price range had the show not paid. It isn't the solution for everyone and showing it off as this cure-all is pretty fucking awful. Looking good is great for you're self-esteem, and thats fantastic, we all know I'm a big believer in self-esteem.

I feel sorry for people who can't learn to love themselves, but many of these people worry needlessly and are perfectly normal, even very good looking in some cases and these people, their shows and magazines ruin self-image worldwide. It has to stop, because they are getting rich off making you feel bad. How can a pair of shoes look great one week and crap the next? it makes no sense.

Looking back over this (I often re-read my blogs 5 or 6 times before posting), it has not come out how I had hoped, but the issue makes me so angry I can't seem to organise my thoughts without digressing off in different tangents every four or five words. I do truly hope my message gets through though.

Why suffer like that when that lovely Mr. Wan can make you look just as good and feel great and cry a bit, for far less cash and stress? Any opinions that conflict with mine on this issue will be duly ignored and the person in question will be kicked to death.

That is all.

No comments: