Monday 30 June 2008

Downfall

I suppose the time has come for me to eat humble pie. Schweini played his little arse off, Jens Lehmann managed to avoid the albatross that was circling menacingly around the stadium and even Mario Lopez managed to actually kick the ball. In the end however, as it wasn't enough as the steroid-enhanced Spanish ground them down with Jedi mind tricks from Luis Aragones and attritional football- how very German of them. A strange atmosphere in the bar afterwards- lairy spaniards clashed with embittered mulleted mensch. I even remember a livid au pair biting me at one stage...

However, let's not worry about the might-have-beens. My German cultural immersion has gifted me many fun experiences-

- I savoured the wonders of sauerkraut

- I made some German mates, and one even let me wear his hat

- I'll never be without a sunlounger again

- I now speak better German than Mario Lopez

- The tournament actually meant something- now surely that makes it more than worth it. Better than moping around like Alan Shearer.



So as the sun sets on the German adventure and my facebook name returns to normal I have to ask a favour of the England football team. Could you possibly fail to qualify for the world cup too?
Just think, several continents to choose from and so many more countries to adopt. Togolese lessons anyone?

No comments: